QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Review: Spa Palace, Westlake/MacArthur Park

Amenities: 4/5
Cruisiness: 1/5
Price: $25

Pros: Big, not crowded (at least not yet), unlimited small towels, open 24 hours
Cons: Pricier than most, valet parking (not a fan of valets), the spa jet timers

There's actually a new Korean spa in town! I'd heard about it from several different users, who also alerted me to a Groupon for admission to the spa. So, Groupon deal in hand, I went to check it out.

The location is odd, as it isn't actually in Koreatown... it's more in the Westlake neighborhood, between Koreatown and Downtown LA... not really an area that inspires confidence. But, like much of Los Angeles, the Westlake neighborhood is improving, and only time will tell if Spa Palace's investment will prove to have a great payoff. 

I pulled into the parking lot (under the building) and gave my keys to the valet. I hate valets with a passion, but I just dealt with it. (On my second visit, I parked at a metered space on the street). From there, I took the elevator to reception on the third floor.

The lobby is spacious and fancy-looking. The front desk receptionist was very friendly, gave me my key and Jimjilbang uniform, and pointed me to the turnstile to the men's entrance. Yeah, turnstile... ok, weird. The admission price is $25, just like Wi Spa, only there's no option for just using the men's area for a discount.

At some point I found out that Spa Palace is owned by the people that own CJ Spa in Northridge (and formerly Hermosa Beach), and, in fact, the manager of Spa Palace (I think he's a manager) is the former manager of CJ Hermosa.

The locker room is huge... probably similar in number of lockers to Wi Spa but instead of the mazelike distribution of lockers at Wi, the locker room here is longer and more organized, and it's much easier to find your locker. 

Once I'm naked I go into the spa area... there are a LOT of standing showers... maybe 20 or so. I don't think I've seen that many at any other spa. Glass dividers between the showers come out 18 inches or so from the wall, so not really any privacy when showering... which is fine with me.  There were also 6 or 7 seated showers. Typical body wash/shampoo/conditioner selection. Unlimited small towels available by the showers.

The whole spa area is very nice, and clean, and you can tell they put a lot of money and effort to make it look good. I really liked it a lot.

The tubs are on an elevated platform, maybe 5 or 6 feet above the floor level of the showers. There are three tubs: the cold tub, the small warm tub, and the large slightly warmer tub. I detected a slight difference of temperatures between the two warm tubs, but not really a significant difference. There are also windows along the back wall of the tub area that are basically at cock level. They seem to be heavily tinted; it looked like dusk outside when, in fact, the sun was still shining... so I doubt anyone from the outside can see in, even at night. On the right side of the tub level is a television (which was off on my second visit) and the timer dials for the tub jets.

...which brings me to my biggest annoyance of the tubs: the timer dials only go up to five minutes. If I want to sit in a whirlpool for a while, I have to keep getting up and walking to the end of the tub level to turn the dial every five minutes. I imagine it wouldn't be that expensive to replace it with a 20-minute dial... so please, if anyone working there reads this, replace those timers!

Back down to the shower level, there is also a steam room and a dry sauna. The steam room and the sauna were ok temperature-wise; I would have preferred the steam to be a couple of degrees cooler but it really wasn't bad.

Next to the sauna is the scrub area, which it its own little room with two scrub tables, and a divider between the two tables. There's no door between the scrub area and the spa area, so it's not really all that private... not that I have a problem with that.

The number of guys in the spa area ranged from nobody but me to maybe 8 people, so it was never that crowded. Like Wi, I saw some kids there, but not too many. Crowd seemed to be about 50% Asian (presumably straight) and 50% non-Asian (I'd guess at least half of those gay, but a few were definitely straight)

Also off the locker room are a relaxation area with recliners and a TV, and a sleeping room with a warm marble floor. The first time I was there the sleeping room had no lights on, and the second time it was quite well illuminated.

I also checked out the jimjilbang (coed area): very similar to Wi Spa... multiple saunas (which were all hotter than I like, to be honest), restaurant (and the food, to be honest, looked great, but I didn't actually try any.) and open space to relax. The first time I was there, on a weeknight, the coed area was practically deserted, but the second time I was there, on a Friday night, there were probably twenty or so people up there.

However, the first time I was there, I almost didn't find the jimjilbang ... it was down the passage behind the barber area. However, by my second visit they had put up signs pointing the way (and warning not to be naked if you go down there!)

The best and coolest thing about the whole spa, though, and what makes it unique, is if you take the elevator from the jimjilbang down to the first floor... there's a HUGE indoor swimming pool (well, it's actually open to the outside but it's covered) and a few hot tubs scattered around. You're supposed to bring your own swimwear if you want to use these, though. But it's great for people who want to sit in a jacuzzi with a person of the opposite sex. But the pool is big enough to swim laps if you want to. I found out that they're also planning on having a bar selling drinks (possibly alcoholic) and snacks. I could see the pool area becoming very popular once that happens. On my two visits, the pool area had maybe five other people in it one time, and the other time the entire pool area was completely empty. My only complaint about the pool area is that the lighting could be better... it just felt like being in a cave down there.

So, with all of that information, you're probably wondering how much "fun" you can have there. While I got some discreet cruisy vibes while I was there (the one bearded otter who gave me a subtle smile in the locker room as he left last week... give me a call... ;-) ) there's really no place to play. The sauna and steam room have too many windows and they're right next to the scrub tables so there's always staff around there. You can play footsie in the hot tubs, but with the 5-minute timer you can't really do anything more under the water. Maybe the sleeping room but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. With the occasional kids there, I'd just say if you're looking for action, go somewhere else. But, like Wi, there's great eye candy potential. (I had some nice views when I was there).

I can only imagine it's going to get a lot more popular as word of mouth spreads; hopefully it won't become impossibly crowded.

Oh, one more thing... on leaving, I was faced with the turnstiles again. You give them your locker key, they scan it (and, presumably, make sure you don't owe money from the restaurant or whatever) and give you a card so you can put it in the slot so you can go through the turnstile. Why they can't just press a button to unlock the turnstile for you, I don't know. It's strange.

But, all in all, as of this writing, it's near the top of my list of favorite spas... just wish it was less expensive.




Spa Palace
620 S. Union Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(between 6th St. and Wilshire - Enter the parking lot on Shatto)
http://spapalacela.com/

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I hope to check it out with my Groupon late this afternoon if I get back to LA in time. I hate valets, too, but have had to use them at Wi Spa the last couple times since the parking lot is so packed. Not sure I would risk parking at a meter anywhere near MacArthur Park like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to celebrate the long holiday weekend with a soak and steam at Spa Palace late this afternoon around 5 pm. It looks great in the pictures. I hope they have changed out the 5 minute times on the tubs for 30 minutes or more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some things I noticed when I visited the place today....
    Unlike other K spas that displays all the razors and toothbrushes, they give 1 razor (sometimes they'll forget too since other guests don't have it) and 1 toothbrush when you check in.
    It was very quiet in the morning (maybe because it's Friday) but it became crowded late afternoon.
    There's a lot of kids today with their Dad or Mom.
    The swimming pool is really huge and I don't think other spa can do the same.
    They ran out of small towels a couple of times in the afternoon.
    It was a very well maintained place and I'm sure they'll have more customers soon.
    For many hours no one is using the sleeping room (it has 6 mats inside).
    Food ranges from $ 9.00 and up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice spa! I went on a Sunday afternoon with my Groupon discount and was very impressed at how nice the facility is. I hope it becomes more popular with the less-cruisy, yet exhibitionist type guys - like me! Spas like this are getting more and more popular with people who enjoy relaxing naked with others and I am seeing more guys shaving completely smooth - like me! Love it.

      Delete
    2. Are you going again this weekend? I still need to check it out with my Groupon and I enjoy a clean-shaven man

      Delete
  5. Trying spa palace today! Looking forward to a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to Spa Palace later this afternoon. Hoping for scenery especially a clean shaven man like the poster above

    ReplyDelete
  7. The review above is pretty accurate. Beautiful, large new spa, a little hard to find on Union between Wilshire and 6th, friendly free valet parking, elevator to the third floor is a bit bouncy, tub timers are still 5 minutes and not labelled so you just turn on all 3 and see what happens while watching Sunday football on the TV next to the hottest tub, plenty of showers, no plastic wash basins and unlimited small towels. I even put on the uniform and toured all the jimjilbang saunas and took the other elevator down to the pool for a look around but it is coed and swimsuits are required. This place is really nice and was almost totally deserted on a Sunday (430 to 730 pm). Mix of 75 percent Asians of various ages, a couple kids, a couple whites, blacks and browns. I will go again with my other Groupon and see if there is more of a crowd on a Saturday. Spa Palace just seems too nice for the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to use the elevator to 3rd floor since the stairs are unlocked to walk up and down. I walked down on Labor Day to avoid a guy that was "shadowing me" but he caught up with me at the parking valet.

      Delete
  8. Just got another Groupon for $12 ($15 until you use the code EXTRA) for Spa Palace.
    I will give it another try soon to see if there are more guys there than on my first visit.
    Beautiful K spa, very peaceful and relaxing since nobody knows it exists yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touch operated fountains in the coed pool area are still not in operation as of yesterday. Very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what those were!

      Delete
    2. They were working on November 1, 2015.
      I didn't know what they were and turned one on by accident while looking around downstairs.
      I will have to bring a swimsuit next time. I was the only person
      down at the pool so I could have jumped in without but I am probably on camera somewhere!

      Delete
  10. Trying Spa Palace later this afternoon with my Groupon if I get back to LA in time.
    Attempting 4 to 7 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TravelZoo has deals on SpaPalace...I just bought four.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the TravelZoo tip. I have been to Spa Palace twice and it is like a bigger, nicer Wi Spa and fairly quiet since few people know that it exists.

      Delete
  12. Halloween recovery at Spa Palace later this afternoon?
    4 pm or later?
    Need to use up a Groupon before it expires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anyone going to Spa Palace today after work or if you are one of the lucky who have the day off?
    I want to check it out around 430 pm with my Groupon. Wi Spa is too crazy busy on Friday night since it is Family Day there and I don't want the gay bath house atmosphere of Century tonight. Spa Palace looks great on the website and I could use a soak and steam after Turkey Day and my Black Friday workday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a straight Korean male and I actually come to this sight to get some info on which spas are not frequented by gay guys. I use to like Century because it was close to my Miracle Mile apartment, but found out (the hard way) it's a premiere gay cruising site. The funny thing is my girlfriend loves Century because of full fitness center and giant jimjilbang.

    I had a friend catch a couple gay guys jerking each other off at the Spa Palace and he got really made, yelled at them and reported them to spa management. He's got a kid and sometimes he brings his family to Spa Palace. Any ways, for me I don't care what the sexual orientation of a person is when he visits a spa that has mostly heterosexual clientele.

    In Korea and Japan spa culture is family culture and not a gay thing at all. So, you have a lot of money going into spas, spa technology, spa layout, etc. It makes for very nice spas that Koreans build in America that can be enjoyed by everybody, regardless of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, etc. However, I would very much want gay people to be mindful of how they behave in a Korean spa with mostly hetrosexual clientele (and even occasional kids!). Having said that Korean people make some amazing spas and gay guys love spas. Maybe the best answer is for some entrepreneuring Korean to build a Korean spa in WeHo? In absence of that just be mindful people and use discretion and common sense. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not heterosexual and I completely agree with you. There is a time and place for everything, and we should be mindful of what we do and where we do it. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
    2. Edward your heart is in the right place, but your head might not be. Building a Korean spa in Weho won't affect the type of men that you and your friend were offended by at Spa Palace. These men are usually closet cases who go there on the DL for some kind of gay sexual release away from their wives and girlfriends at home (wasn't John Travolta busted at one of these places?) These men would never venture to Weho out of risk of being caught, and being in a Korean spa/gym gives the whole situation a certain amount of ambiguity when the little woman at home asks them where they have been. These are also married/partnered gay men who go to play in a place like Koreatown without the perceived risk of being recognized.
      That being said, I somewhat agree with you about how things can get out of hand. I'm a gay man, but there are many times when I just want to go and relax and I find myself wanting to say "get a room" to some spa patrons.

      Delete
    3. I went to several "straight" spas or onsens while I was in Japan last year and I can tell you that the men in there were very forward and I am not a gay man. I think your theory about gay people "behaving" themselves in "heterosexual" spas doesn't hold much water (pun intended!) ;-)

      Delete
  15. How is the crowd at Spa Palace for cruisiness? The review on here is old and gives it a low number. I'm not looking to play around here, but I enjoy eye candy and also getting admiring looks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. went back to spa palace last week and came away so dissappointed as usual. i keep wanting it to be my favorite spa but always leave feeling disrespected as a paying customer.
    as with all CJ properties (SP is owned by CJ), its new and well constructed but theres a strong air of cheapness.... stingy with the towels, short jacuzzi timers, soap and shampoo dispensers that dont work.
    there was a whole lot of gross black grit at the bottom of the big salt pool
    the rude russians and armenians have discovered spa palace and were there in full force shouting at the top of their lungs wearing shorts and jumping into the pools unshowered despite all the signs... no one stopped them
    when i pointed it out to the short latino attendant he just shrugged his shoulders and glared at me like i had annoyed him
    later i also saw him wipe down the counters and mirrors with a used towel he reached in and picked up from one of the laundry baskets! GROSS!! i also saw him refilling the water dispenser with water out of a plastic bucket (like u would use for gardening or construction). I hope it was clean.
    there were candy wrappers and empty soda bottles strewn all over the resting room floor.
    for being one of the priciest spas in town they should keep it better maintained and provide better amenties and towels.
    the buddy i was with sent the manager an email but they didn't even bother to reply.
    we shouldn't be rewarding such shoddy service. wake up CJ/ Spa Palace. take a cue from Wi/ Natura/ descanso on how to service ur clientel and how to run a great k spa

    ReplyDelete