QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Wi Spa, Koreatown

Amenities: 3.5/5
Cruisiness: 1/5
Price: $15 (sauna only), $25 (includes Jim Jil Bang)... but there are specials all the time.

Pros: Nice clean facility, open 24 hours, large sauna area, plenty of towels
Cons: Valet parking (I HATE valet), kids running around

Wi Spa is probably the most popular Korean spa in Los Angeles. The facility itself is huge... even the locker room is like a maze. But one of the reasons for its popularity is the huge Jim Jil Bang, which is always bustling with couples and families. 

But I'm not here to discuss the Jim Jil Bang. So, let me get down to business on the men's spa. As I said before, the locker room is huge. And so is the rest of the spa. While the men's spa area doesn't have the multitude of saunas that Century Spa has, the pools and saunas they do have are all pretty large. They have three pools (hot, warm and cold) and a dry sauna and steam room. They also have an area with a warmed floor to rest... the experience is kind of like the clay sauna at Century Spa, but it's out in the open, not in an enclosed room. 

One big plus for me is that the steam room manages to stay fairly consistent, temperature-wise. At other spas, the steam rooms generate steam until the temperature reaches unbearable levels, then the steam shuts off and the room cools to be more bearable; then the steam kicks in again. At Wi Spa, the steam room somehow manages to stay steady... the steam does kick on and off, but it never gets too hot or too cool. It's nice.  The warm pool is also a great temperature... warm enough that you couldn't sit in there all day, but not unbearably hot. (The hot pool, on the other hand, I can only stand for a few minutes)  

There's also a relaxation area and a sleeping area, both with dozens of recliners. The only difference between the two area is that the sleeping area doesn't have a TV. (The TV is muted in the relaxation area though)... both area are busy though... I was in the sleeping room last night, and there were probably a dozen guys in there, sleeping. 

However, both times I've been there, there has been zero cruising vibe. And it's not that there aren't gay guys there... my gaydar works pretty well, and I was sensing a lot of guy guys. And a lot of very attractive guys too, all naked (not nearly as much covering up as at Century Spa). It's just that (1) it seems like all the gay guys are there with buddies or boyfriends or whatever; (2) the gays are generally outnumbered by straight guys (both Korean and not); (3) there's enough of a crowd that there's no opportunity to be alone anywhere; and (4) there are kids there.

Wait, kids? Yep. The first time I went (on a weekend afternoon) there were tons of (mostly) preteen kids. I think that, in general, fathers are supposed to stay with their kids, but the kids I saw seemed to be pretty much unsupervised, to the point of being annoying occasionally. I mean, I think it's kind of cool to expose kids to nudism and make them comfortable with their own bodies. But at least make sure they behave! (e.g. swimming laps in the warm pool is unacceptable)

But all in all, it's a nice spa, and (other than the kids) perfect for those who want to visit a spa without the cruisiness.

Wi Spa
2700 Wilshire Boulevard (at Rampart)
Los Angeles, CA 90057

9 comments:

  1. I have been to Wi Spa only once, and I agree with your observations. I found the place to be too big - like walking into an airport terminal - and it had more of a family vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there once. I like that it's mostly Korean, and it seemed like a place you could be comfortable hanging out or resting in the sleep room. But it's not a sexy place. The observation that there are kids around is an understatement. The day I was there there were dozens. I would put the odds of a sexual encounter there near zero.

    Thanks for posting these reviews. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I like about Wi Spa is that everyone is pretty much stark naked. Unlike Century, there's no big bath towels for guys to hide behind. I was there late one weekend night, and in walked a group of six 20-something guys - all completely naked, no one shy or embarrassed about their dick hanging out. It was totally hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you just want to hang out naked and aren't looking get off, Wi is absolutely the best. There is usually a LOT of eye candy, and almost all the guys are totally comfortable being naked. I agree that the cruising vibe is almost zero, BUT...I have had fun there on rare occasions, in the steam room and in the back row of the sleeping room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WI is the best spa for me. I like that there is no cruise vibe at all. Everyone is naked and it's the only place I can bring straight and gay buddies. If you want to be naked surrounded by other naked guys (mostly younger and straight) go hang at Wi. If you want more go elsewhere. The main reason I no longer go to century is that it's very cruisy and EVERYONE walks around in towels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the Low cruising vibe but one time I got Lucky in the Early AM hours and did have some play in the sleep room, Another time there was a guy interested but nowhere to go. It is a very nice spa though. Love the Wet area design. I agree with the Temperatures being near perfect also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday, there's was an anal sex at the shower and jo in the sleeping room....so cruising vibe is getting better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go to Wi Spa a lot lately, about three times a month. I always go on Sunday afternoons for at least a couple of hours to relax, show off my twinkish, smooth body and be naked with others. I've had fun there twice, once with a guy who asked me to go with him to the dark Sleeping Room, so we both got the cotton robes and went in. We were able to get two recliners (that are attached) away from the entrance door, and give each other head. The second time, a smooth shaved guy was alone in the dry sauna, and I asked if I could sit next to him. He said sure, and after I sat down I noticed that his cock was getting real hard, and I was able to stroke and suck him. But we had to stop as people were coming in and out. I love going to Wi Spa and see that other smooth guys are going too. And believe me, it can get real cruisey. Hope to see more guys there!

    ReplyDelete