QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Korean Spas: An Introduction

I visited my first Korean spa about a year and a half ago. I had heard about them, mostly through posts in Craigslist or just word of mouth. One Sunday, I was sore from a particularly tough workout I had in the morning, and I had happened to be running errands in the Valley when it occurred to me that one of those Korean Spas was somewhere in the area, and a good steam and soak would feel good at that time. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I'm also a nudist and was hoping that what I'd heard (that everyone's nude there) was true. Still, I was a little nervous, not really knowing what to expect, or proper etiquette, etc., but my fears were unfounded and I had a nice relaxing time there.

I am not Korean, and the Korean spas seem to be a part of the Korean culture. I suspect that there is more to the spas than just "go sit in whichever sauna or pool you feel like at the moment." But that's what I do, and nobody's given me a dirty look, so I guess it's not all bad.

So, what kind of amenities can one expect at a Korean spa?
  • Showers: One of the purposes of these places is to get clean. They pretty much all have two types of showers: Upright showers (the ones we westerners are all familiar with) and sit-down showers. I've never used a sit-down shower... something I've been meaning to do sometime.
  • Saunas: Every spa I've been to has at least a dry sauna and a steam room in the men's area. Some have even more: different temperatures, different materials for the walls and floor, etc. For those spas that have a coed area, most of the saunas (other than the basic dry sauna and steam room) are located in the coed area. 
  • Pools: Pretty much every Korean spa has a hot whirlpool and a cold plunge. Some have multiple hot pools (like a warm and a hot).
  • Locker rooms: a place to stash your clothes. You never have to bring anything to a spa; everything you need will be provided by the spa. The sink area usually has shaving supplies and hair products. 
  • Spa treatments: Yes, it's a "spa." You can get things like massages and facials. A popular treatment at Korean spas is the body scrub: you lay down on a table (completely naked) while a Korean dude scrubs every inch of your body, getting you cleaner than you've been in a long time. And yes, they clean everywhere. The body scrub is usually done in the gender-specific area, but other spa treatments are usually done in coed areas.
  • Sleep/relaxation area: Most spas have a dimmed room to rest, either on floor mats or in reclining chairs, or both. 
One thing about Korean spas is that, in the gender-specific area, it's all nude. Many even have signs that state that bathing suits or shorts aren't permitted in the spa area. So these places are not for the modest. At some of them, it's not unusual to see fathers with their young sons in the spas.

Some Korean spas have a coed area, called a Jim Jil Bang. These areas usually have more relaxation areas, saunas, and even restaurants. For the Jim Jil Bang, the spa will provide shorts and t-shirts to wear... the coed area isn't nude, sorry!

In terms of etiquette, the primary rule is, shower! Once you strip off your clothes and leave the locker room area, your first stop should always be the shower. Never, ever enter a pool without having showered first, especially if you're coming from a sauna or steam room. In a nutshell, the rule is: if in doubt, shower.


OK, so far this seems pretty basic... where does the "gay" part of this blog come in? 

Korean spas aren't gay sex clubs or gay bathhouses. I mean, I guess they are "bathhouses" in the literal sense of the word, that is a public place where one bathes.


But, if you get several naked gay guys together, there's bound to be a certain amount of cruising going on. Different Korean spas attract different crowds, and each will have varying amounts of cruising going on. When I review various spas, I'll include a mention of how cruisy they are.

That said, let me reiterate: Korean spas are not sex clubs. There are plenty of gay bathhouses in LA where you can do pretty much whatever you want out in the open. If you get caught doing it at a Korean spa, the consequences can range from being kicked out of the spa to being arrested. I'm sure the last thing you want (other than an STD) is a lewd conduct conviction on your record.

But, admittedly, "things happen." This blog does not condone illegal behavior. But if you're going to do it anyway, try to follow a few common-sense guidelines:
  • Never assume the guy you're checking out is interested in you. Don't even assume he's gay, for that matter. There is nothing more pathetic than a guy who's staring at me, playing with his cock, while I'm doing all I can to look disinterested. Actually, I take that back... what's even more pathetic is that same guy, who, after I get up and walk out, follows me around the spa like a puppy dog... as if a different setting is going to make me more in the mood or something.
  • Keep it private. If two of you ARE into each other, don't give others a show if you don't know if they're interested in watching. Forcing straight (or otherwise uninterested) guys to watch your sexual escapades is rude, seriously. And an invitation to being reported to the spa management.
  • I'll reiterate the previous bullet for when there are kids there. If you're messing around in full view of minors, you deserve to be arrested. Hell, if I'm there, I'll be the one to call the cops.
  • Keep it clean. I don't really want to step in your various bodily fluids. Use your towel or your hand or whatever, and keep the common areas clean for the rest of us. Because, eww.
  • Take it somewhere else. I know there's a certain allure to public sex for some guys, but if you're really into each other, perhaps going to someone's home or at least exchanging numbers or emails is the way to go.
So I hope that gives you guys a decent introduction to Korean spas. Feel free to comment with any ideas or suggestions... I've visited maybe half a dozen different spas around LA and I hope to start posting reviews of them soon. Let me know if there are any you want reviewed first!



5 comments:

  1. I wish a blog like this existed 6 months ago when I first started going to the Korean spas. I'm interested to read your take on the different spas in the area. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love k-town spas! can't wait to see what you think of grand spa and/or beverly hot springs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blogs makes me so horny. I genuinely came to Wilshire Spa for a massage late one night, and accidentally ran into the spa room after I was done. Didn't expect to see a bunch of naked men, but that visual hasn't left my mind. I'm dying to go back to actually experience the spa....and the adventures that comes with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone should write a blog like this as a guide for actual gay bathhouses in Los Angeles. It would be nice to read informative reviews that indicate the pros and cons of these types of places in terms of quality, price, sexual activity etc. Is there any blog like this about gay bathhouses?

    ReplyDelete