QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Joy Spa, Hacienda Heights

Amenities: 2.5/5
Cruisiness: 4/5
Price: $15

Pros: Unlimited small towels, not too expensive, three pools
Cons: Seemed kind of dirty, or at least in need of a revamp

I "came out" to a friend of mine regarding this blog over the weekend: I knew that he reads the blog so I confessed to him that I was the author. And... he'd already figured it out. There were a few subtle clues that he picked up on, and he recognized my writing style, and that made him pretty sure it was me. Anyway, it was funny.

Part of our conversation was about Korean spas and how (as I discussed in an earlier post) it's supposed to be this Korean cultural thing (and, to a lesser extent, other Asian cultures) but gay guys are using them to hook up without discretion, thereby being disrespectful to the Asian guys. Which I totally agreed with, as I pretty much said in my previous post. Anyway, this becomes relevant later...

So I was on my way back from being out of town over the long holiday weekend and I figured I'd give one of the other spas in the San Gabriel Valley a try. I basically flipped a coin and decided to check out Joy Spa. It's in a strip mall on Hacienda Blvd, fairly nondescript from the outside.

I paid my $15 to get in, and entered the locker room. It's a big locker room, with lockers along the walls and recliners in the middle facing a television. Kind of like Wilshire Spa. There was only one sink in there, which was odd; even the smallest spas I've seen have multiple sinks.

Unlike most spas, the locks here aren't electronic, so you have a big metal key on your wristband. Not as bad as Lions Spa though, where it makes noise when you move around. So I'm thankful for that. Unlimited small towels are folded and stacked next to the door to the wet area.

Inside the wet area, there are standing showers (6 of them I think) to the right, followed by 6 more seated showers beyond that. On the left are the pools: cold, warm, and hot. The pools were decent size; the middle one had a capacity of 8, the others seated 5. Across from the pools (and next to the seated showers) was the body scrub area. There was absolutely zero privacy there... if you're getting a scrub, anyone in the pools is going to get a full view of what's going on.

Past the scrub area is the steam room and the sauna. The steam room wasn't large; it could maybe seat 6 or 7 comfortably. The sauna was a bit bigger though. Both the sauna and the steam room were at good temperatures: hot enough, but not TOO hot. One thing about the sauna, though, was just that it seemed dirty. The wood was old and was showing its age. The door was supposed to be clear glass but what was probably years of moisture and splashes made it partially opaque on the lower 2/3 of it, with no apparent effort made to get those water stains off. And in parts of the sauna, when I put my towel down, the color from the wood transferred to the towel, looking kind of like skid marks. Uhh, no thanks.

After exploring those rooms for a bit, I headed back to the locker room and found two rooms: a sleeping room (with recliners), and a room that was kind of a clay room (had clay walls), kind of a marble room (had a marble floor) but was hotter than those respective rooms at Century Spa. It was the kind of room I'd expect in a coed Jimjilbang, but it was nice to have one off the locker room where I could be nude.

The clientele varied while I was there: when I first got there (mid-afternoon) it was almost entirely Asian guys. Which was pretty much what I expected, being Hacienda Heights and all. Oh, there were a couple of kids there too, at least briefly. Eventually, though, the crowd changed to probably half-and-half Asians and non-Asians. Then as afternoon started to turn into evening, it got more and more crowded, and I think the balance turned more Asian. And this big group of youngish, tattooed Asian guys came in.

But here's the thing... it seemed like the Asians were being more cruisy than the White and Latin guys. Usually, I go in with the assumption that most of the Asian guys are at the spas for the cultural aspect, and most of the non-Asian guys are there to see penises. But it seemed like a lot of the Asian guys (actually MOST of the Asian guys) were looking to play more than the white guys, at least until the tattooed gang came in. So anyway, so much for my friend's observation that it's the Asians that are being disrespected when white guys come to play!

Oh, I forgot to add: there were signs all over the place warning that anyone participating in "inappropriate behavior" would be kicked out and banned. Kind of tacky, actually. But it was being widely ignored, as far as I could tell!

There was this super cute young Asian guy that I could tell was trying not to get a hard-on (and failing! Ha!)... we fooled around a little bit but it started getting crowded and I'd been there long enough anyway.

Anyway, the place is fine, I guess, if you like Asian guys and you happen to be in the area... but I wouldn't make a special trip out there, to be honest.

Hacienda Joy Spa
2020 S. Hacienda Bl. Suite H 
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
http://haciendajoysauna.com




20 comments:

  1. Is the grade of 3 for crusiiness the avg of what you experienced during mid afternoon and the evening? If it were to be graded only when the Asian crowd came in would it be same as century spa?
    Are the young Asians very fit and twinky? Th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grade was 4, not 3. The reason why it wasn't to the level of Century Spa was because there were fewer saunas and therefore not a lot of places where you could be alone with one or two like minded others, and because of the "No inappropriate conduct" signs everywhere.

      The young Asian guy that I mentioned was very fit and cute. The group of tattooed guys were also pretty fit, but I'm pretty sure they were straight. There were also older guys that weren't really my type though.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I figured the sleep rooms would suffice as there aren't alot of private rooms in century to really so anything either. Anyways I figured to go here but w your response I think I'll just head to century again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review of Joy Spa. It's my go-to spa since downtown Korean spas are far from me. Also the steam and sauna room has more privacy without the big glass like other spas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My review is based on a single visit. Do you think my review reflects a "normal" day there?

      Delete
    2. I've been there a couple of times and I'd say your review is definitely very representative of this spa.

      Delete
  4. Been here plenty of times and every time I get some action

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live far from Joy Sauna but work downtown LA and go to Golds downtown too, so while on vacation I decided to take a detour and try Joy Sauna out. So glad I did. yes it's old, small. But it's only 15 to get in, staff I have found friendly, and I really enjoy myself while there. Went back for second trip this morning, planning to get the body scrub (25 plus 15 entrance). The first time I went I'd seen a couple guys get the scrub from the regular guy (Mr. Han? Hong? Didnt catch his name clearly), and they really seemed to enjoy it. True, you have no privacy. But who cares. Most everyone I saw get the scrub seemed to be enjoying it, and I could tell because the small towel placed over your pretties doesnt hide a hard on - not even the surprisingly small one of a younger Asian guy with a solid Judo wrestler build. You'd have to be a total size queen not to have enjoyed that sight however ;-) It was at the end of his scrub, and I guess at that point the scrub guy (the other one, not Mr. Han/Hong) had forgotten about the towel and just let the young guy lie there.

    Anyway, Mr. H, as I'll call him, certainly made my scrub enjoyable. I'll keep details to myself. I like Asian men, and the mix varies between heavily Asian to 50/50. For those not so into Asian men, stick with the regular LA spas. Please. LOL.

    So yeah, Joy Sauna is small, needs an update, and you have to be really discreet with any fun. But both times I've been there, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I notice gay white guys from unattractive to normal looking with a lot of attitude looking for other white or latinos at Korean spas. Some avoid all eye contact with asians and have a disgusted look on their faces. Why are you in a Korean spa? I was on vacation in Italy and was enjoying a gay nude beach all by myself when I saw an American. I was going to say hi as I was leaving but he wouldn't even look at me. Same disgusted face. And I am actually above average looking and fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me contactmsw@hotmail.com 30's white smooth fit

      Delete
  7. I went to Joy Spa for the first time recently and really enjoyed myself. I am a white
    guy, shaved cock, and actually played around with a cute Asian guy in the sauna. In humble opinion, white guys are looking to play with Asian guys. And for me, the smoother and non-hairy the better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never get massages and I'm thinking of breaking that pattern. How's Fred the masseur? He seemed eager for business the last time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred's a good masseur; he gave me a happy ending. He even let me play with him a little bit.

      Delete
  9. So.. I didn't feel like going to work this past Monday so I decided to give this spa a try since I've read about it on your blog. It was either Joy Spa or Grand Spa but since you said the cruisiness is actually higher on this one, I was like, what the heck, let me give this place a try.

    So I went in. HOLY SHIT. This place my friend is still off the chain. I mean, I don't know how things were in the past and I've seen guys messing around in other spas but nothing to this extent.. lol

    You know the hot sleep(?) room right before you go into the spa/wet area? Yeah, there were like 7 guys at one point jerking off -- different age groups, body types, races, etc. 7 guys? Damn.

    Also, the small shady sleep room with nothing but couches (love it), there was a Mexican guy that had approached me earlier sucking off another fine Mexican papi. I sat right next to them (the back couch) but they didn't mind, they kept on going. And then this old Chinese man approaches me, sits on the arm rest next to me and starts touching me, jerking me and sucking me...

    Ugh.

    Oh btw, the entrance was only $15.00 when I went in. Yes, I also had massage by Fred (he was cool -- ethnic Korean from Chinese -- he told me he was uncircumcised.. I asked him lol) but he was business-aggressive asking me during massage if I wanted to pay credit/debit or cash. (WTF?) Normally at spas like this, you pay afterwards at the front but he was quick to get my credit card to process it then brought it back with a receipt. Had to tip him after 'cause I didn't have much cash. He was good, though.

    Would I come back? Probably not. No eye candy, except the hot Latin papi that got jerked off first in the wet sauna that rushed out as soon as he got what he wanted. lol

    The spa looked kinda.. meh, old? It's too far from where I live and although $15 is a good deal and the Italian deli/market across the street is a bonus, I probably wouldn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Went to Joy today for the first time. I had been to a few LA spas, and thought I would give it a try since I happened to be out that way, for once. Very pleasantly surprised, not sure exactly what I was expecting. It is a bit dated, and not super nice in terms of amenities, as several have noted. The small towels are pretty annoying, as has been noted above. I found the sauna toward the back too hot for my taste, but all else was workable.

    I found the vibe in the early afternoon to be open and an interesting mix. Older Asian guys doing their own thing, and about 15 guys of various races/ethnicities interested. It skewed older 30-55 I'd say, but I didn't have a problem with that, given that's my demographic. The best thing about it is that although there were some hotter younger guys there, there was very little attitude that I could ascertain. Nice and just chill.

    All in all, a fun, relaxing afternoon. I would definitely go back, and feel like this place, with its cheap entry, well worth the time and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was at Hacienda Joy Sauna today (Labor Day)-- extremely busy, but most were Daddy (and grandaddy) types and not in the greatest shape and too many were blatantly going from room to room, opening doors, seeing if they were missing anything, then moving on to another room. One fit, nice looking Asian guy in his 30's but he left quickly. I left at 1:30 so maybe the crowd will be different later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Went to this spa over the weekend.

    Very Cruisy, one guy just walked around hard.

    overall pretty calm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the masseuse is really good. I always wish he'd do more tho, anyone have any clue how to get him to do a little more, even the scrubber. I wish it was covered so there weren't that many eyes looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No more 'inappropriate behavior' signs and there were absolutely no extra towels. You're given 4 tiny hand towels when you enter and that's it! Bring your own towel if you want to dry off and use the hand towels to cover the lounge chairs as they're wet and you don't know whose wet ass was there before. It's cheap at only $15 but needs a good scrubbing and painting at the very least. I was there on a Thursday afternoon and there were mostly older Asian men. I'll have to try a Saturday and stay 'til the evening. They seem to have very light robes available but I was told by the rather rude attendant that 'you have to get here early and pay'. Wasn't sure if she meant the robes were free and it's first come first served as I specifically asked if they cost extra. Her English was very poor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The robes are free but you have to ask for them. I was told I got the last one but noticed other guys after me had one. Most of them are either stained or torn. Last Saturday night had more action. Only a few of the guys were in their 20's and/or hot or well endowed, if that's what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete