QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Review: Natura Spa, Koreatown

Amenities: 3/5
Cruisiness: 2/5
Price: $15

Pros: Clean, unlimited (small) towels, relatively inexpensive
Cons: Small, basically just minimum spa amenities

I've been meaning to check this place out for a while and finally got around to it. It's in the "Wilshire Galleria", which I guess used to be an old department store, but is now a weird little mall that's chopped up into smaller stores. The first time I went there (on a weekend), I took the subway (the Wilshire/Vermont station is only a block away) and the second time (on a weekday) I parked in the lot, which is free with spa validation.

To get to the spa, you have to take the elevator. There aren't any stairs I could find; I usually like to take stairs if I'm only going a floor or two, but it didn't seem like an option. Both times, the front desk staff were friendly. One note... I've been to two different spas on Mondays after work where they didn't have body scrubs available. I guess the scrubbers take Mondays off or something. Just warning you.

So anyway, the spa is small. I mean, similar to East West Spa small. The wet area consists of 7 standup showers, maybe 12 sit-down showers, a steam room, a dry sauna, a warm pool and a cold plunge. And the small body scrub area. And not much room for much else. Outside of the wet area, there's a cooling room (like an ice sauna) and a sleeping area with both recliner chairs and a warm stone floor for sleeping. Oh, and the sleeping area is super dark. The sauna and the steam room are both pretty good size, as is the hot pool.

The clientele both times I went was probably about 80% Asian, presumably straight, so there aren't a whole lot of cruising prospects. But both times I went, there were a few non-Asian guys that seemed interested. The dry sauna and steam room have large glass windows, so unfortunately, there are not many safe places to play, only in the far back corner of the steam room and the sleeping room, but both times I was there both rooms were busy enough that it was nearly impossible to really get anything going. There were even more non-Asian guys that didn't seem to be doing any cruising at all, so really, this isn't the best place to do it. (Even though some of those guys were hot!)

It's a great place for checking out other guys though, as the towels they provide are hand-towel sized, so you can't wrap them around your waist. Everyone was completely nude. Just try not to stare and make guys uncomfortable. ;-)

There's a separate woman's spa, I think, but there's no coed area to hang out if you have a ladyfriend. There's also a restaurant and a gym... I guess you need to being workout stuff for the gym. I think. One thing I liked about the locker room area is that they had ice water with slices of citrus in it, so you got tasty water. :-)

All in all, it's not a bad spa if you're looking for something not so cruisy (like Century) but a little cruisier than Wi (and with no kids running around!)


Natura Spa
3240 Wilshire Blvd, Suite B
Los Angeles, CA 90010
http://natura-spa.com

12 comments:

  1. Sounds nice. I had assumed this was a small, women only spa by the name. Will have to give it a try. The photo gallery looks great.
    The website has a blooper showing that they close at 12 PM on Friday/Saturday. They don't close at NOON, they close at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sauna at Natura. It's such a beautiful, tranquil yet masculine room...but maybe a little too hot. Once about a year ago I met a married guy in the locker room who had never been to a Korean spa before. I was happy to let him know how things worked and where to find everything. I guess he appreciated the help, because when he came into the sleeping room and laid down next to me, he was *very* friendly and obliging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen men perform oral on each other in the sleeping room.

      Delete
  3. I really like this spa. If you haven't been yet, you really should check it out. Really clean and tranquil and up-to-date - and all the essential spa elements you would want. This is my go-to spa, now - thought the cruisiness is far more discrete than at Century, Wilshire, and Lion's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very clean place to relax.
    DO NOT go to the one that starts with the letter "W" because the really creepy person is the barber who keeps on looking at the customers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spa is very nice, I've been four times and each time was exactly the same: a group of Russian guys talking at an almost shouting volume non-stop, ha ha! They are sexy to look at but there for socializing only. I had no action on any of the visits, unfortunately, even though there were some beautiful men there. Restaurant is great. I saw a notice of a $5 entry fee increase to start Dec 1, 2016, FYI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate that about Russians who have been invading the Korean spas. I have encountered that repeatedly at Wi Spa and Wilshire Spa which both seem to have a problem with this. I got a scrub once which was totally ruined by them as they stood very close to the scrubbing area and loudly conversed in Russian back and forth. I wanted to go all "Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises" on them!! (it doesn't end well for the Russians)

      Delete
  6. Went to Natura Spa on Friday afternoon. Really liked this place. Very clean and just a little bit of crusiness (but not in your face.) Loved the self-contained men's section with its own restaurant in the spa so that people were actually getting dinner in their robes. This is one that I will definitely return to. There was a drunk man in the spa that was called out for drinking a can of beer in the dry sauna. He was talking very loudly and turned and asked me if there were "little rooms where people could go with women." He was from out of town and I think he must have thought it was a different kind of spa, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. didn't like this spa, felt like management was watching the place. also the steamroom and sauna have huge windows open to front. it would be difficult to do anything here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just left Natura... tons of muscle eye candy NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natura is closing for good at the end of the month according to signs posted there this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad this was closed because it was one of the most clean place I've visited.

    ReplyDelete