QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Review: Century Spa, Koreatown

Amenities: 4.5/5
Cruisiness: 5/5
Price: $20 ($25 with Jim Jil Bang)

Pros: Huge; great amenities; almost entirely gay clientele;
Cons: Stingy with towels; sleeping room is perpetually (permanently?) closed; guys tend to be overly modest and cover up with towels.

Ah, Century Spa. I've been to this one more than any other spa in LA, and for good reason. While, at $20 admission, the price is higher than some other spas, you definitely get more for your money here.

In terms of amenities, most spas have a bare minimum of a hot pool, a cold pool, a dry sauna and a steam room in the men's area. Century Spa has a cold plunge pool, a hot whirlpool (but not too hot), a hotter "tea pool", a dry sauna, a steam room, a mist sauna, a cold sauna, a clay sauna and a marble sauna. This gives you plenty of options for sweating and relaxation. The clay sauna and marble saunas are warm, but not as hot as the dry sauna or mist sauna; their purpose is more toward relaxing. You can spend half an hour or more in the clay sauna (laying down and resting is encouraged in there) without getting heatstroke. The huge whirlpool is warm enough without it being too hot to stand more than a few minutes. There is also an outdoor patio where you can sit and cool off. While there's supposedly a sleeping room upstairs, it's always been closed when I've been there. There is also a "meditation room" upstairs, which I guess can double as a sleeping room (or just sleep in the clay sauna). The meditation room has floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the pools in the men's area.

I've heard complaints from others about the sauna and steam room not being hot enough... I disagree about the steam room; when the steam is going it can get close to unbearable in there. As for the dry sauna, yeah, I guess it could be hotter. The mist sauna seems a little hotter than the dry sauna, though.

One of the dumb things, in my opinion, about the layout is that the showers are pretty much as far away from the lockers as you can get; Since you are supposed to shower FIRST THING when you get there, it'd make more sense to put them nearer to the entrance of the spa. The body scrub area is in a little dark room behind the showers. There are three tables in there. There's a curtain between the showers and the body scrub room, but if you're in there getting a scrub, you're on display for anyone else in there who's also getting a scrub. One time when I was in there getting a scrub, the guy next to me looked like he was enjoying his scrub a little too much, haha.

When you arrive, you're given a small towel and two bath-sized towels. They occasionally bring out more towels (to the cubby area next to the clay sauna where the robes and shorts are located) but when a stack is brought out, they go quickly. Possibly because of the lack of towels, guys tend to keep their towel with them all the time, and the preferred way to carry it is around their waist. So, because of that, the voyeur aspect of the place is less than most. (Don't worry, though. I always parade through with no modestly whatsoever!)

But don't get me wrong--despite the apparent modesty, there's a LOT of cruising going on here. I'm not sure why it is, but Century Spa has become the de facto gay spa in Koreatown... so much so that it's rare to see actual Koreans use the spa. I'm not sure how it came to be (I heard that Century advertised in gay magazines) but I'm not complaining. The size of the spa and the sheer number of different rooms and saunas make consensual play fairly easy here; I have never been to Century Spa and not had some kind of action. While for the most part, etiquette rules and guys don't just go to town without making sure that everyone is ok with it, it's pretty easy to establish mutual interest.

Popular places to play are... well... pretty much anywhere except the pools and the dry sauna. (The dry sauna is located right inside the entrance to the spa area, with floor-to-ceiling windows, so there is literally no privacy)... The steam room gets action in the back (away from the windows), the outdoor patio gets tons of action, the clay room gets quite a bit, the marble room gets a little, and even the meditation room gets plenty of action. I've even played around in the mist sauna before, which also has a lot of windows and doesn't really strike anyone as being particularly private.

Despite all this, I want to urge people to watch what you're doing and who you're doing it in front of. Century has a great thing going right now and I don't want it to be ruined by people who are reckless about who they cruise or show off in front of. But seriously, guys, it's a Korean spa... stop wearing your towels all the time and show off your goods!

There is a Jim Jil Bang here that recently opened, but I've never checked it out. There's also a full gym downstairs with a lap pool, which I've never used.

Century Sports Club & Day Spa
4120 W. Olympic Blvd (at Crenshaw)
Los Angeles, CA 90019
http://centurydayspa.com

Note: their website SUCKS and all of the photos were taken years ago, before an extensive remodel... the interior looks NOTHING like what's represented in the photos.

28 comments:

  1. I agree: If you want to play, this is definitely the place to go. There is plenty of good eye candy, though, yes, most guys walk around covered up. My problem with this place is that there is nowhere to just sit or lay down and relax - too much play and cruising happening everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been three times. This is the least "Korean" of the Korean spas. You get every ethnic group, age range from 30s to 60s. There is no place to simply chill out. Almost every time I've been to the meditation room, people want to play. It's a small space, so if you don't like the one or two others that are there you can't just be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Century is really nice and usually very clean. Lots of FREE self-parking above and below ground (enter on Bronson). They take your car key at the front counter when you check in so be sure to give them your "Valet Key". Old lady at front desk said they used to take your driver's license but many don't pick them up when checking out then pointed to a pile of licenses in a basket.
    They really need to update the website so potential customers can see the current club. It was remodeled a few years ago. Century did advertise in Frontiers IN LA a few years ago (that is how I found it then word of mouth spread fast among my friends) so that may have brought in "our people" to a Korean spa. Anyway, now I hear they are open 24 hours like Wi Spa but with a 3 hour limit to control cruising.
    Check it out. I love the hot tea soak and the eucalyptus steam plus all the naked men! The cold super-soaker shower head inside the steam room is a great way to cool off without leaving. Back patio is a great way to cool off (sometimes with a happy ending) but it is also a smoking patio so beware

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the 3 hour limit: I've NEVER heard of it enforced... maybe they are sticklers for it "after hours" or something, but I've stayed there for close to six hours (midday and evening), and nobody said anything to be about it.

      Delete
  4. I do not understand the current incarnation of Century at all. Post-remodel, it just seems like a lot of hot guys posing, but I have never seen anything happen. Everywhere just seems so exposed and bright. Beautiful facility, though. I guess I just like my spas a little more dark and dirty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Century Day and Night Spa" finally has a new website.
    Chirpy girl in forbidden swimsuit gives a tour of the various women's facilities and co-ed areas but nothing for the men's side.
    Check it out.
    http://www.centurydayandnightspa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to this spa las Saturday based in the good reviews I read here. All I can say is that it was a waste of time. The facility is really good. Clean, all new...but, If you want to "play" this is not the place. There were many guys walking around but with that WeHo attitude. Noone talks. I felt weird here. If you wanna see old guys 50+ or young girlie guys gossiping in the corners...this is the place!!
    I rather going to CJ Spa in Northridge or Wilshire Spa. You can find really good looking guys here, gay, bi, curious. No attitude, friendly and willing to play :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you complain about WeHo attitude and then in the next sentence complain about too many guys over 50 and "girlie guys"? Hah.

      Delete
    2. If what you say is correct about the Weho attitudes I will NOT go, I hate that kind of atmosphere and energy yuck.

      Delete
    3. I went last night and that was exactly my experience. It was one of the worst experiences I've had at a Korean Spa in my life, those guys dispised me the minute I walked in.

      Delete
  7. Yeah... WeHo attitude, too many guys over 50 and girlie guys here in this spa. That is why it makes it anoying!
    I don't mind old guys but is the attitude. I noticed that in the Century Spa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Went tonight. Had a blast. Actually 2X! So many cute and hot guys. Fun older guys that were actually super hot and some really cute latin/black/asian guys. I felt like I was in a Benetton ad. Everyone was nice and had a good time. I put on quite the show on the patio and everyone seemed to enjoy it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are there any older fat guys there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to Century at the suggestion of a coworker about a month or so ago in the middle of the week. I took the day off from work. It was nice, very relaxing. I'm straight, in my mid-30s and am married with a kid. I didn't tell my wife I'd be going to a spa, I didn't even tell her I would be taking the day off. Anyway, I could tell that other guys were checking each other out, and even checking me out, but I didn't find it to be a big deal. However, I went into the clay room, and fell asleep on the floor. I don't know how long I was asleep for, but I woke up with a tremendous hardon, and a guy was sucking my dick. I was still kind of groggy and I started to tell him to stop, but his hands started wandering over my stomach and chest very lightly, and it actually made me feel really good and aroused. He even started playing with my nipples, which my wife has never done, and it felt good. I felt violated and very aroused and excited at the same time, but then the feeling of feeling violated went away and I let him continue sucking me. Then out of nowhere, maybe he was sitting in the corner, another guy started playing with my chest, I tried to brush him away but then he held my arms down, and started licking my nipples. I thought it was getting out of hand, I was so nervous and excited at the same time, and I was about to tell them to stop but then another guy put his hand over my mouth and started licking my neck, and then licking my ears. Before I knew it, he tried kissing me on the mouth, I shut my mouth tight, but then I slowly gave in and let him put his tongue in my mouth. I had never kissed a guy before. It was very exciting, and he was actually a very good kisser. I came close to cumming and I groaned a bit for a warning. The guy who was sucking me stopped sucking and started jacking me off. Before I knew it I started shooting my load, and then another guy started cumming on my stomach. Then I just lay there, and the guys left. I was confused. I guess you can say I was molested or sexually assaulted, but I gave in because it felt really good. Afterwards I took a shower, left, and sat in my car for a while, kind of shaken but excited from the whole experience. I can't stop thinking about it. I used to think I was completely straight, but now I'm not sure. I haven't told anybody else about this, and now I feel I am open to experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long story short: You might get raped at Century Spa. Good luck?!

      Delete
  11. Does anyone else think the lights in the steam room have been replaced with brighter bulbs? When I was there last it seemed that way, less private and little to no activity going on. On all my previous visits I've gotten into hot action: always suck at least one guy off, stroke other guys to finish, and have gotten fucked in the steam room, patio area, and once in the alcove with padded bench at top of stairs. Anyone else notice this about the lights, or was I imagining it? Or maybe it was just an off night

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can anyone tell me which massage guys are cute at Century?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recommend Steven. He's not what you would call cute for an Asian, probably late 40's? but he gives a great combo scrub/massage, and is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The current options for a body scrub masseur are "John, Ken and Tony" Any recommendations on which would be the most "fun"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The current options for masseurs in the men's spa are: John, Ken or Tony. Any recommendations as to who might be the most "fun"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of any masseur at Century providing "extra service."

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Naturally. That would endanger his job. I was thinking along the lines of the previous commenter: a masseur who is aware and relaxed around gay clients.

      Delete
  16. Do they ever close that curtain between the showers and the scrub area? I've only been there once and I got a scrub, and I had a little trouble relaxing because I couldn't see who could see me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Black muscle party at century tonight! Fan club welcome

    ReplyDelete
  18. ***I have not been to this location since it was reopened after the mandatory closing of all non-essential businesses. From what I understand, it's open again for business ***

    Century Spa definitely has become quite a worthwhile place to visit. To go in and see the huge groups of guys as young as early 20s to maybe..50/60ish there.
    In ( my opinion) going there to Relax and have fun has always found comfortable but confident and cool, approachable guys. NO, not everyone is looking to cruise me. I Accept that... Everyone ive sat next to or met has been normal and friendly. No attitudes. Everyone seems to understand the space they are sharing and ive never seen anyone be rude or overstep boundaries. Guys very comfortable and wanting to also have a great time.
    The steam room IS packed but guys still manage to share decent respected spaces without issues. Lots of fun men...Not goofy little boys. Even the 20 year olds know how to enjoy the visit because everyone is chill here

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete