QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Review: Descanso Garden Spa, Tujunga

Amenities: 3.5/5
Cruisiness: 2/5
Price: $20

Pros: Plenty of parking, unlimited towels, quiet, clean
Cons: Out of the way unless you're in the area, stuff seemed just barely too hot.

It's my first review in almost a year!

I just heard about Descanso Garden Spa a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to check it out. It's in Tujunga, so not to difficult to get to from Pasadena/Glendale or the northeast San Fernando Valley, but otherwise it's kind of a trek to get to. Fortunately, I was in the area.

I was kind of surprised to see a real Korean spa in this part of town, but here it is. It's in this mini-mall on Foothill Blvd. with plenty of parking. I parked and walked in, handing them my $20. After stripping down, I went into the wet area, where there are signs on the door that say "No clothing allowed!"... I liked that. More spas need signs like that.

I was meeting a friend there, and he and I were the only ones in the men's area when I arrived. Seriously, it was otherwise totally deserted. The men's wet area was surprisingly similar in layout to Natura Spa: octagonal hot tub in the middle of the room, cold plunge off to the side, steam room in one corner and dry sauna in another corner, seated showers in another corner, and upright showers in a couple of locations to fill in the rest of the space.  Oddly, though, some places where there were pairs of shower stalls, only one of the showers would have soap/shampoo dispensers. There were also shelves with towels, scrub cloths, toothbrushes and razors.

The spa area was fairly upscale and very clean. It was one of the nicer spas I've been to, although it was pretty small... (the sauna and steam room were about half the size of Natura's)

After showering, I tried out the hot pool. It was slightly hotter than I normally like; it was tolerable, but I would have turned it down by a degree or two. The jets were controlled by a timer dial on the wall (which wasn't really obvious at first), which lasted longer than the 5 minutes you get at Spa Palace. Maybe it was 10 or 15 minutes. But the temperature was such that I didn't want to stay in the pool for longer than the timer lasted.

The steam room was next. When the steam jets weren't going, it was fine in there. But it got hot quickly when the jets were on. And they were placed weirdly, under one of the benches. I was sitting next to them when they turned on, and had to move because the hot steam was too close to me and hitting my legs. The steam room is pretty small, not large enough to hide in the steam to not be visible from the outside.

The sauna was a good temperature. It had large windows that looked right into the adjacent scrub area (as well as to the rest of the wet area), which was kind of weird, but there were no scrubs going on when I was there.

After my friend and I had been there for a little while, more people started showing up. Mixed crowd (a couple of Asian guys, and maybe 5 or 6 white or Middle-Eastern guys while I was there) and ranged in age from 20-40. A couple of the guys (I think they might have been Armenian) were really good looking. (Although my friend was pretty good looking too, haha!)

In terms of places to fool around, there is plenty of opportunity when the place is otherwise empty... while you can see into the steam room from the rest of the wet area, you can't see the steam room at all from outside of it. Also, the seated showers are arranged in such a way that they could conceal you from people outside if you wanted to play in the seated showers.

While I was there, I got a playful vibe from one guy, so it's a little cruisy there. I'd never go there expecting anything to happen though, the crowd is too unpredictable. You could be all alone in there or there could be a bunch of people in the spa.

I also checked out the coed area. They have a small restaurant, several saunas, a cold room, and a patio. They also have separate men's and women's sleeping rooms, although the men's sleeping room is down the same hallway as the women's restroom, and the women's sleeping room is down the same hallway as the men's restroom. They should have planned that better. There's also a "Cedar Oxygen Room", which smells cedary and I think they were pumping oxygen in there but I'm not sure.

Anyway, it's worth checking out if you are in the area and don't want to make the trek to K-Town.

Descanso Garden Spa
7226 Foothill Blvd
Tujunga, CA 91042
http://www.descansogardenspa.com/








108 comments:

  1. What date and time where you there op?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there in the same evening that I posted this review. :-)

      Delete
    2. Gone there once and it was a nice place. Really went for the hopes of seeing some handsome Armenians, unfortunately when I went there was only 1 but not my type. Seems like you got luckier than I did in at least seeing, glad you have good taste, they can be quite attractive with their ethnic features.

      Delete
  2. Just checked this place out myself this evening after work - I work in Burbank, so it wasnt tooo far and I had a great time relaxing. It's a nice space and generally well laid out. It was a bit uncrowded, but that was nice to relax. Would like to go back, maybe run into some other buds to relax together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: so went back and had a good time again. It can be pretty quiet which is nice for relaxation. A few other guys were in/out over 2 hours I was there to relax. Would be cool to go with a bud. 34 here; 6'3, 195. If anyone wants to go after work sometime on a Wed or Thursday could be nice to hang out and enjoy.

      Delete
    2. I'd be up for it sometime. I want to go back and check it out again.

      Delete
    3. I would be up for Wednesday or Thursday. Been there once and it was relaxing

      Delete
  3. Anyone interested in hitting this place up? Thinking of going either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm 24, 6'4, 200.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I'm going to go tonight

      Delete
  4. Heading to this place at about 4 pm , 23 mid eastern muscle here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anybody ever go here on Saturday afternoons? How is it? Nice place to relax?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone have an update on this place? I'd love to know which day/time is the crusiest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually go after work on the week days and it's a very mixed crowd. I have had a few cruisy situations in the steam room. Plan on going this Saturday after work. 6'3 very fit muscle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be up for meeting ... can you go during lunch on a weekday?

      Delete
  8. I am going this afternoon... hairy guy here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys, I went couple of weeks ago, I cannot say enough... the place is amazing, clean, brand new and very very nice. Lots of play, 99.99% want to play. I am going today around 2:30 to 3:00 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went last month on a Saturday afternoon and was surprised at all the activity in the sleeping room upstairs.

      Delete
  10. Going tomorrow evening 4/5 if anyone is interested in joining. Tall fit male. Looking to hang in the buff and show off a little

    ReplyDelete
  11. Descanso tomorrow afternoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there around noon to early afternoon. Asian guy

      Delete
  12. Going today after work. 4/18 anybody else going?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent place... lots and lots of chances to play... VERY clean and beautiful!!! I recommend everyone to go... where are he gay Armenians???? Armenian here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When's the best day and time to come here?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anyone going after 5 today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went there Friday 3pm-8pm very quite, I was only one for awhile, few guys showed up later. Scrub and massage was nice.

      Delete
  16. I have been there Saturdays mid day and sunday late in the evening... i am going to go today, in a few minutes... I am hairy very guy Armenian, and hair sleeked back ... with gray on the sides... lots of places to play ...come on down

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry forgot to say going there in a few minutes.... RV

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anyone going this Friday night?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey guys... the place is really cool and modern. 99% will play, in the steam room, and the sleeping room... come on down! Going this evening after 8:30 pm. 5'8" hairy guy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello guys, I love this place. I am 5'8" hairy, I wear a fitbit on my left hand, and the locker key on my right hand. I usually carry a black bottle water with a green lime spiked. I am friendly and very down to earth. I go there late in the evenings and sometimes during mid-day. Say i, if you like what you see. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you plan on going this evening?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I will be going there today, i am the guy with the black water bottle with green/lime spiked ... I will be there after 2 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tall, fit, married heading to descanso this Wednesday evening for some relaxing. Looking to hang out with other masc men.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not too sure yet. Working in the area till the evening time. Maybe around 8 or 9. Stats?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anyone going after work today?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello guys... yes going there today around 9ish... 5'8" hairy, guy, with a black water bottle with a yellow/green spiked .... I will be there until past 11:00 pm... say hi! ;-) 05/11/17

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey anyone going today, after work? I am going in thirty minutes.... the guy with the black bottle water and yellow green spiked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is it? Aren't you going on Wednesday?

      Delete
  28. Going tomorrow evening to relax. Fit, married, tall and hung. Any other masc guys going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you wanna go on Wednesday instead?

      Delete
  29. Sorry, won't be able to on Wednesday. Trying to relax tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Did not make it last night. Will be going this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What time are you going? Stats?

      Delete
  31. Can you make it mid to late afternoon? If you don't mind, how old and what do you look like?

    ReplyDelete
  32. No sorry. Late evening for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey bud, did you go? How old are you and are you asian, white, latino, etc?

      Delete
  33. Yeah, I went. There was no one really there from 930 till around 1030 when I left. Tall, Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Were you there?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Going tonight! Tuesday. Tall dark and handsome / hung

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey guys... anyone going tomorrow around 2:00 pm? This is the guy with the black bottle water and green/yellow spiked.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anyone going tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anyone going after work today?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Headed here on Saturday afternoon. Fit married, 6'2, hung

    ReplyDelete
  40. See u then! Asian 5'9"

    ReplyDelete
  41. @12:45.... Did you go on Wednesday a week or so ago? Commented on my big balls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let us know when you go back tho, i'm all about that!

      Delete
  42. Nah, it wasn't me. Too bad I've missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anyone headed to descanco today? Asian 5'10". Thinking of going today.

    ReplyDelete
  44. If you see guys in the wet sauna wearing their locker key on their ankle that is apparently the signal for interest in playing or showing off. That was a fun discovery on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  45. how is descanso after work? thinking about going tomorrow late afternoon/early evening.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'll be going today around 2pm. No too sure if anyone will be there at that time

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anyone going this afternoon? Wouldn’t mind bumping into someone who likes to discreetly show off.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Headed to the spa tonight. Anyone else going?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thinking of going at around 7pm.. 5'9" asian

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anyone want to go today....tall fit and handsome

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hitting up the spa today around 530. Anyone else want to join?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anyone going early evening today?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Going tomorrow mid-day. 6'2 200 hung married

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anyone going tonight? 5 9 Asian 170

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anyone going later today?

    ReplyDelete
  56. What time were you thinking? Stats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime after 6... 6,175,hung,bi. You?

      Delete
  57. Ill be there later tonight. Maybe around 8 or so. 6'3 210 8"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you there yet? How long you plan on staying?

      Delete
  58. Did you happen to be the tall, fit white guy? I was the tall Latin but didn't feel to good so I left. Last weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I was not there on the weekend.

      Delete
    2. Not the original poster here but I was there and saw you. Too bad you had to leave.

      Delete
    3. Skinnier white guy?

      Delete
  59. Sorry last week. On Wednesday. Showered and would get a semi hard on?

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anyone going tonight? Asian, 5'7" 140lbs

    ReplyDelete
  61. Any fellow blog readers planning a visit this evening?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anyone for tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  63. Looking to hit the spa tonight. Fit and hung here looking to hang out. Anyone else want to join?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anyone going now?

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anyone going this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  66. Might head out there later tonight at around 730pm. 5'8" Asian 155lbs

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hitting up the spa today

    ReplyDelete
  68. Thinking about hitting the spa this morning. Anyone else going?

    ReplyDelete
  69. Thinking of going today this afternoon, let me know if you'll be there too

    ReplyDelete
  70. Going to try this place out for the first time tonight around 7. Anyone care to join?

    ReplyDelete
  71. AsianDude, bi, stats? How is descanso?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5’8 130lbs...was actually busier than I thought. Definitely places to play (although didn’t get a chance to). Your stats? Wanna join next time?

      Delete
    2. Hey AsianDude, nice 130 lbs! You must be fit. I am 5’8 but I weigh about 170 plus pounds, I am not chubby tho but I still have to lose weight. How old are you buddy?

      Delete
    3. 40, but told I don’t look it.

      Delete
  72. going to Descanso Garden, first time...any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  73. Masc musc jock here... would be up for meeting another musc dude here during lunch hour on a weekday

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anyone headed to descanso tomorrow morning?

    ReplyDelete