QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Grand Spa, Koreatown

Amenities: 3/5
Cruisiness: 2.5/5
Price: $15

Pros: Price is ok. Good supply of small towels. Three pools.
Cons: No privacy in the sauna. Tends to be crowded with mostly straight Asian guys. 

Yay, another review! Did you miss me?
I'd been to Grand Spa before, over a year ago, but I wanted to go and get a fresh look at it before I wrote up a review. (I had forgotten a lot about it anyway) I didn't have anything going on after work today so I swung by on my way home.

I'd forgotten from my earlier visit that the entrance is up this side staircase... for some reason, the outer hall is all done up in this ancient Egyptian motif; it's kind of odd.

Upon entering, the locker room is very small; doesn't seem like it's much bigger than a 10x10 room. And inevitably, there's someone with a locker really close to me, so we're doing the whole awkward changing-too-close-to-each-other dance. When you open your locker, there's a robe, a small towel, and a large towel. Note that this large towel is the only one you'll get. They keep a supply of small towels by the shower, however.

From the locker room, I entered a glass door into the spa area. There are showers in there (upright on the right, seated showers on the left)... the body wash is in loose bottles; they look like they were from the 99-cent store or something, and smelled way too floral for my tastes.

Once past the showers, there is a steam room on the left. I really liked the steam room; the temperature was just right for me. Hotter on the upper bench, but less so (such that you could sit in there for a while) on the lower bench. It also pleasantly smelled like cinnamon. The steam room is fairly large, and although the wall is glass, the steam is enough that you can't really see too far into the steam room.

The dry sauna is right next to the steam room. It's fine, temperature-wise, but again it has a huge glass wall that means it's not at all private. There's also a big-screen TV in there (and also facing the other direction, outside of the sauna) showing the latest in Korean television. 

Across from the sauna and steam room are the pools: a cold pool, a warm pool, and a hot salt-water pool. I've said before that I like when they give us a choice for temperatures; when there's only two pools, the hot pool tends to be TOO hot. But here, the warm pool felt great.

Back outside of the spa area, there's a TV room with a bunch of recliners, and a dark, quiet sleeping room. The sleeping room is quite private (if there's nobody else in there), but when I was in there there was a guy snoring loudly... something about Korean spa sleeping rooms, I guess; I always seem to find ones with loud snorers.

The place was fairly cruisy though. The clientele was roughly 2/3 Asian, but I could tell that a few of them were looking to play. I was in the steam room and this older Korean man was being fairly obvious about checking me out. Not my type, but I didn't really mind... I didn't let it go any further than looks though.

There was another attractive (white) guy, we fooled around a little bit in the steam room and the sleeping room, but with the amount of people there on a Thursday evening, it was difficult to get much privacy. As I was leaving, there was another Korean guy that I'm pretty sure was checking me out, too.

Anyway, Grand Spa is fine; nothing to get too excited over though.

Grand Spa
2999 West 6th Street (at Virgil)
Los Angeles, CA 90020
http://www.grandspala.com/

38 comments:

  1. Hey going to century spa Sunday morning (10/7) around 10:30 or 11, anyone else going, wanna hang and relax together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn - missed this one
    when's the next century spa get together? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry... I wanted to review it without the crowd being skewed by blog readers. :-) I don't know when the next get together will be, I'll let you know. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hey Kyle- hit me up when you want to go, might be fun to have a spa buddy! I went last week for the first time, I feel like I might need a guide to help me fit in and show me the ropes on how to interact with others :-) I'm Nate btw

      Delete
    3. Hey Nate
      Hit me up at kyleloweagain@gmail. You're anonymous here :)

      Was at Century Friday evening. That was the hottest time I've been at Century ;)

      Delete
  3. How about a meeting at Century next Tuesday, 10/16?

    - UCLA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Book of Mormon tickets for that night!

      Delete
    2. I'm planning on being at Century on Tuesday night, too. I'll be there around 7:30. How will I recognize you?

      Delete
    3. I'm J, and I just discovered this site. Straight, curious, and very good looking. I think I'll go Tuesday night!

      Hope to see you guys (and all your parts) there!

      - J

      Delete
    4. Hi J,

      I've been there once before and it was a lot of fun. I'm also straight, curious, and good looking. It's good to know that someone like me will be there Tuesday night, too. I'll watch for you (all of you).

      - I'm J, too.

      Delete
    5. Hi J Too,

      Very cool that you're in a similar situation as I am. What are your stats? I'm white, 28yo, 6 ft tall, 170 lbs, fit and goodlooking, about 7.5 cut

      Any other blog readers planning on being there? I think it's 3 of us so far: UCLA, me, and J Too.

      - J

      Delete
    6. Hi J,

      I'm white, married, 38yo, 5'11", 165 lbs, fit and good looking, and about 6.75" cut. I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

      - J Too

      Delete
    7. Hey guys,

      Im Asian 22, 155lbs. fit, ill be there around 830 or 9. will you guys still be there?

      Delete
    8. I'm on my way there now. I think I'll probably be there for at least 2 hours, maybe 3...

      - J

      Delete
    9. Did you guys meet up? How was it? I want details! Haha

      Delete
    10. Ya - how was it? :)

      GuysSpaGuide - when is the next gathering?

      Delete
    11. I went. Wasn't sure what to expect. I kinda kept to myself. Didn't speak much but saw plenty of "cruising." Never made a connection with UCLA, or J Too, or the 22yo Asian guy (or at least dunno if I did). I kept to myself basically. First time I've seen anything like that. I was a little shocked (and intimidated) by how aggressive some of the guys were. Don't know if I'll be back. As a straight/curious young man, that may have been enough to satisfy my curiosity. How was "Book of Morman"? And when do you plan on going to Century? The facility was really nice.

      - J

      Delete
    12. "Book of Mormon" was great! I loved it.

      Not sure when I'll be back to Century. Probably not this weekend, but maybe the next weekend. Also, I might go to CJ in Hermosa sometime during the week next week if anyone shows any interest in meeting up there. You might like CJ... It's much less crowded, so the cruisiness isn't in your face like it is at Century

      Delete
    13. I was there last night for several hours and it was a lot of fun. I managed to meet up with 22yo Asian and I'm glad I did. He's a genuinely great guy! It was really nice to talk with him. And (in my humble opinion), he was one of the hottest guys there -- personality and looks. I hope to have the chance to meet him there sometime again in the future.

      I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to say hi to J. I'm sure I must have seen him but just not recognized him. Very sorry to hear that it was overwhelming. Me being a straight/curious guy too, I'd like to think that I could have made it a more comfortable visit for him. J, let me know if you'd like to try to meet up there again in the future.

      - J, too

      Delete
    14. Thinking about going to CJ in Hermosa on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. If I did, could anyone make it? I'd probably be there from 5:00pm to 8:30 or so.

      Delete
    15. Hey, so I'm going to CJ Spa TONITE (oct 18) from about 5 to 8. It's short notice but I'd anyone wants to join me, cool.

      Delete
    16. Sorry guys! I have been sick all week and was not at Century. Still fighting the cold.

      -UCLA

      Delete
  4. Hey Nate
    Hit me up at kyleloweagain@gmail. You're anonymous here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Grand Spa once....and was really bored and haven't been back since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. does anyone know if wilshire spa is cool on a wednesday evening? lookin to go show off a bit but dont want to be overwhelmed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey -- I was at century recently and unlike the first J there was no one being aggressive or cruisy at all (it was mid-day on a Sunday, good amount of guys there), just was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to score a little more action? How do you get people interested? Or maybe it's just me haha anyway I'm white, 5'8, 150 brn/grn 6c and 30 yrs old, any of you cool guys have any tips for me on how to engage in all this play that seems to happen at Century? Many thanks ... I'm Justin btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin - I think guys are more likely to act after the sun sets ;) Especially in the outdoor smoking area. Had a fourway there and we didn't even stop when other guys come in & out of the area ;)

      It was on a Friday evening

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it all depends. Some days are just better than others. I was there last Thursday night and, while there was a good crowd there, people just didn't seem to want to fool around that much. And I ALWAYS get action at Century. It's just that this one visit, people either didn't seem to be in the mood, or (and I observed this with multiple guys that evening) some guys just paired off and didn't seem willing to include anyone else or even let them watch.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the feedback guys ... I'm just trying to learn the ropes on how to join in without being rude or gauge interest. But definitely makes sense about just hitting it on the right day or night! :-) there were so many good looking guys there when I went for the first time but couldn't even get anyone to make eye contact let alone mess around with, haha oh well, still a relaxing place! And Kyle my god a 4 way on the patio? I'm jealous, dream come true, was it an oral 4 way or did you get into fucking too. Well again thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate it! :-)

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin - it was just an oral 4-way ;) You should go with me sometime. Drop me a email kyleloweagain at gmail

      Delete
    2. I had a question about this patio, I've never been to century but is this an outdoor place where you could lay out and tan in the summer or is it just smoking and orgies :-) ?

      Straight showoff

      Delete
    3. Pretty much just smoking and orgies. The patio is small with high walls, so there really isn't enough space to get enough sunlight to tan. It'd be a great idea though!

      Delete
    4. FLEX has an outdoor pool where you can lay out naked and tan but sadly the jacuzzi is gone. Plus smoking and orgies.

      Delete
  9. Some advice and warning about this place. Twice I was there and had guys have their feet in my lap and when I responded by just touching their legs I was accused of Sexual Harassment. It this a trick? They touch you and when you touch them back they pretend to wake up and go to the front desk and complain. The first time the guy literally was calling me names in Korean and dragged me to the front desk. They called the Police and since there were no witnesses we were told to leave and not come back. I went back a few months later and had no problems. Last weekend this guy put his feet in my lap and when I went to touch his leg he pretended to wake up and went to the front desk. They came and got me about 10 minutes later and I said I was leaving and gave no ID as they asked. I think there are some guys here that set up gays and do not want to go to this spa again. Very Scary Experience. Just warning you guys. Go elsewhere. I never had this problem in any of the other spas. Only at Grand Spa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's bizarre... I've never heard of anything like that happening before. I guess it's a good reminder to always be careful and never assume anything about anyone.

      Although if the foot-in-the-lap thing happened to you once, how would you fall for it a second time? Seems like an oddly specific way to entrap you.

      Reminds me of the gym I used to go to. There was a guy that'd always make flirtatious eye contact with guys in the sauna and then if the guys made a move this guy would get all offended and report the guy to gym staff. Fortunately i was onto this guy from the beginning, and i was never one of his "victims". People like that have some sexual identity issues, in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like you have a foot fetish as I have never, ever had anyone put their feet in my lap once let alone twice at any K Spa or gay bath house.
      If they did I would remove them or leave.
      The Melrose Spa has a "Foot Fetish" night one Friday a month that you may want to check out

      Delete
  10. I agree with what you say. Some guys definitely have sexual Identity Issues. I have been here one other time and nothing happened. I did not initiate anything. I do have an underwear fetish but not really into feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The physical environment is not as nicely designed or finished as others, looks sort of "just the basics". Very friendly clientele, guys eager to play around, and they are nice if you want to and equally nice if you don't. Had a great three-way oral in steam room on last visit

    ReplyDelete