QUICK LINKS:
Be sure to read the Introduction to this blog!
If you're looking for a spa buddy, this is where to do it.
If you're just looking for reviews, they're here.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Lions Spa, Mid City


Amenities: 2/5
Cruisiness: 3/5
Price: $15 

Pros: Only 15 bucks, easy parking, quiet
Cons: Kinda rude staff, stingy with the towels, cheap decor, three-hour limit

Sorry for the hiatus. I just haven't visited spas much lately, and when I do, I'm often more interested in going to ones that I know I like, rather than going to ones only to review. So anyway, I had some business to do in the area this afternoon, so I decided to stop at a spa. I was going to head to another one, but decided, nah, I need to come up with new material for the blog. So here we are.

Lions Spa isn't really in Koreatown; it's actually more like Mid-City area... I don't really consider anything west of Crenshaw to be Koreatown. The place is rather ugly and rundown-looking from the outside, but they have a parking lot in the back. 

When I got there, there wasn't anyone at the front desk... I guess she was in the bathroom or something. I waited a couple of minutes and she finally came out. I gave her my $15 and pretty much the only thing she said to me was telling me of the 3-hour limit. Seemed kind of rude to me. I mean, I know Century has a time limit policy (at least it's on their signs) but I've often exceeded it and nobody's ever said anything to me about it. She handed me a robe and a couple of threadbare towels. Not that I really expect fancy towels in these places.

The locker key is on a bracelet. Unlike many of the spas I've reviewed, where there's an electronic key, this bracelet has a metal key and a separate number charm to tell you your locker number. Which results in you sounding like freakin' jingle bells when you're walking around the place (especially if you're wearing the key on your leg). The locker doors are a light-colored wood that is not only a bit worn, but there's really nothing to grab onto, making opening the locker doors kind of annoying. 

The sauna area has just the basics (sauna, steam, hot whirlpool and cold pool), plus another "cool pool"... more like a heated swimming pool temperature. I actually really like this pool; it's a great temperature to cool yourself off without freezing your balls off. The hot whirlpool was a nice temperature too. 

The sauna was a fairly comfortable temperature (for a sauna)... I liked it, although I'm sure a lot of people would complain that it's not hot enough. The steam room was also fine, temperature wise. It was a little uncomfortably hot when the steam was actually going, but not too bad. In fact, my biggest complaint is the sound of the steam itself... it's LOUD. Seriously, when the steam shut off, my ears were ringing slightly.

Upstairs, there's a relaxation room (with like 20 recliners) and an "Onyx Room" with floor mats on a slightly heated floor. There's no restaurant or Jim Jil Bang; it's men only.

I've heard people describe this place as dirty or dingy...  I don't really agree that it's dirty, but I can sort of see where they're coming from. Instead of stone tile finishes like we see at other spas, Lions Spa's walls are tiled with cheap ceramic tiles (with printed-on faux-textures) that they probably got on sale at Home Depot. So the place just feels kind of down-and-out.

Another reason why this place feels so down and out is the clientele. I just got this creepy vibe from the place and the people. There was hardly anyone there... probably less than 10 guys total. Almost immediately after arriving in the spa, I sat down in the sauna and this guy (who I was not at all attracted to) immediately introduced himself and complemented my dick. Like, seriously? Can't he at least establish that I'm NOT INTERESTED before sexually harassing me?

There was one guy who was kind of attractive, and we did establish mutual interest. We ended up going upstairs to the Onyx Room... didn't do much there, just started stroking it a bit. But we kept getting interrupted by this middle-aged guy... it's pretty easy to hear people coming in, so we'd cover up when he came in. But he'd come in, stand right in front of us, cock out and hard, and stare at us for a minute or so. The two of us would do everything we could to ignore the creep (and we weren't doing anything sexual when he was there), but he just wouldn't get the message that we WEREN'T INTERESTED. Then he'd leave for a couple of minutes, and then come back and STARE at us again. It was seriously creepy and pathetic. 

So, ugh. Maybe some guys are into that, but I say just leave Lions Spa to the creepy guys.

Lions Spa
4551 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90019





11 comments:

  1. My first visit to Lions Spa was a few weeks ago. It's "OK," not luxurious by any means. Quite a mix of people, mostly non-Koreans. After showering and going to the steam room, I went upstairs into the sleeping area and sat in a recliner. I started to get hard after a few minutes, and the guy next to me opened his robe and started openly stroking, which told me it was OK for me to do the same.

    As I started stroking he got up to open my robe, but I asked him "no" since I only wanted to get myself off. He tried 2 more times to touch me, but I asked both times "no" and he finally got the clue. After I shot my load, he got up and went into the Onyx room. I was a little nervous since this was the first time I had ever done anything like that, and I split!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Asked" him no?
      You should have "TOLD" him NO!

      Delete
  2. Lions Spa really does do a nice body scrub. Very thorough. More private than Grand (not saying much). Cheap too, $20 before tip/entry fee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recent Sunday afternoon trip was loads of fun. Sucked off a hung gent while he fingered my asshole in the steam room and helped a smaller Asian man blow his load there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Guys Spa Guide guy (sorry, don't know how else to address you!): I am glad you take the time to write this blog and I enjoy your detailed reviews. I am new to L.A. Korean spas and I am beginning to prefer them to gay bathhouses because I can cruise sometimes or just have a relaxing time without cruising.

    There is one point I want to make, based on the story you told above: I understand not wanting unnecessary advances from guys one isn't into. But...I find that, maybe because of online cruising etiquette, that if guys are not into one another, there is this newly evolving custom of simply "not responding" to unwanted advances, which can be confusing for older men, let's say 45 and older, who come from another era of cruising. My point: On systems like Adam4Adam or Grindr, most guys just ignore messages from guys they are not into. But when that happens in person...guys staring straight ahead, ignoring the person...it can be a mixed message.

    My question is, what is wrong with making eye contact with someone, saying hi, expressing thanks but no thanks? When did the norm become to pretend guys don't exist when there's no interest? It seems needlessly unkind. Not saying you did this in the situation above, but I want to get your take on this because I have seen this happen in many spa situations. One time recently in a Koreatown spa, I was fucking a dude (with condom) and the bottom dude was sucking another guy, and the other top guy literally refused to make eye contact with me because he was into the bottom, not me. Now THAT seemed creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one way to look at it is that Korean spas aren't sex clubs. It shouldn't be up to me to tell someone to back off... what if I'm straight? Or just not looking for sex? I mean, if you were in the supermarket would you act the same way?

      I've been to Midtowne Spa a couple of times, and I have definitely noticed "older" guys seem to think that it's perfectly ok to grab my crotch as I walk by. I personally think it's totally an intrusion on my body and my personal space, but I just shrug and accept that stupid shit like that happens in a sex club. It doesn't make me want to sleep with them any more; if anything, it makes them LESS attractive to me... they just seem so desperate that they'll grab whatever they can.

      Delete
  5. I too hate the whole "grab as you go by" thing, wherever it happens! Has that EVER resulted in a guy going, "Hey, thanks for grabbing my dick! Let's go have fun!"? So older men, I implore you, please stop the grabbing!

    Re what you said about the spas not being sex clubs, well...yes and no. They aren't sex clubs, but they often FUNCTION like de facto sex clubs. And so if one is just sitting there sweating, per your straight-or-at-the-supermarket analogy, it's way out of place for a guy to make a pass. But if one's dick is erect, whether it's "intended" for another guy or not, it's probably going to arouse the attention of guys who aren't necessarily one's type. In those situations, I've had guys come up to me and want to play, and I've simply said, "Hey, thanks but no thanks" and life went merrily on.

    My point is, I don't think gay and bi men have to be snide with each other, or look aghast that they've been cruised by someone 30 years older, or pretend someone's invisible if they're not interested in playing with them, the same way I don't think older men should be pawing at younger guys like they're public pets. (Again, I don't think you did any of these things; your post just reminded me that I have seen a lot of this behavior at various spas.) Thanks for your perspective on this issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, here's my point of view: I'm an introvert and loathe confrontation. Even something as simple as politely asking someone to back off puts me outside of my comfort zone... ESPECIALLY if I haven't shown any interest in the other guy. That said, if I'm in a room with two guys, and I'm only into one of them, I'll have no problem letting the other guy watch. I mean, I don't own the place; I can't exactly ask him to leave. If he tries to touch me I'll gently push him away. But anything more confrontational than that is just not something I like doing.

      Delete
  6. Lion's Spa used to be AMAZING. I have watched the CRAZIEST things happening in the dark room upstairs. Used to be tons of good looking guys every single time I went. Unfortunately, things really dried up over the last year. I have been five times, hoping to recapture the magic, and have struck out every time. Really slim pickings. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw photos of Lions Spa on the other gay web blog about K Spas and was surprised how nice it looked compared to the descriptions in the reviews. I have slowly been trying some of the other spas in Torrance and Northridge but always return to Century and Wi as they seem to be the nicest, cleanest and have the best scenery. Since Lions is only $15 I may have to give it a try on my next trip to Lowes across from it on Pico Blvd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lions Spa closes today, November 27, 2016

    ReplyDelete